Tuesday 7 April 2009

Like a hare....

Just to show that I'm trying to do a poem a day, here's one from day four. It had to have an animal in the title. And because I like themes, I'm trying to link each poem to White Coppice or thereabouts.

Like a hare

The season lies flat in the field
quietly watching me pass,
but there'll be other days
when its ears will lift to the chiffchaff's chiff,
when it will stand tall as a curlew's call,
bound high like a lark in a clear, blue sky,
flit round the dry stone walls,
and settle itself in the scent of plump, yellow gorse-tips.

6 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely idea. How many poems are you hoping to write? I have been away, and must catch up! What are the Roman walls? I see I need to do some homework! We enjoyed all the hares around Sandsend near Whitby. Any Hay plans this year - & how is your big birthday countdown going?

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh lovely, nicely done

Mistlethrush said...

Coastcard - Dry walls criss-cross the area - so make map reading much easier!I haven't made any plans for Hay. Are you going? If so what day/s?

CGP - thanks

Caroline Gill said...

Have yet to look at the programme: not even sure if it is up yet. Most likely to be an evening or Saturday.

Mistlethrush said...

Coastcard and DM - thanks for pointing out the 'Roman' walls which are in fact dry stone. Will edit accordingly.

Dave King said...

Lovely. Good use of image and metaphor. I wish you well in your endeavour.

from the field book

from the field book
An inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys watching nature.