Friday 2 January 2009

Ready to fly?


Regular readers will recall I took part in Robert Lee Brewer's poem-a-day challenge. Now it's time to submit.

Does each rhyme, consonance etc. connect the right words? Are the any unintended rhymes / near-rhymes that mislead? Do the rhythms flow and only jerk where intended? Have I teased meaning and associations out of the words? Will the collection hold together when it flies? (Will it fly?) And when it lands, will it bear up under scrutiny and offer something more? I hope so....

I enjoy reading other poets and observing other tutors - there's so much to learn from watching others. At the moment I'm reading Ruth Padel's 52 Ways of Looking at a Poem. (Many thanks to Crafty Green Poet who gave it to me.) A reminder to writers as well as a guide to readers. A useful resource and one I would recommend.

NOVEMBER
... and we can depend upon November

to edit out the the opulence of autumn
as she starts to define the winter clime,
strips nature back
with a long, cold stare,
slashing it
to food,
feather,
bone.

These kestrel's were taken by Mike Atkinson. Follow the link in the side bar to more photos that fly....

3 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

I love 'November': reality, metaphor and meaning within meaning, as befits a good poem! It has left me feeling I need to write ... or do some editing!

Dave King said...

I have been catching up on your post-Christmas posts. I have to say that they are without exception, delightful. An enjoyable visit. Thank you.

Mistlethrush said...

Coastcard - Thanks. I'm constantly editing - it takes a long time (and often never!) until I think a poem is finished. Doing a collection in a few weeks was a challenge!

Dave - Thanks. You know how to make a girl blush! And if any one hasn't already visited Coastcard or Dave's blogs I suggest you do. They're full of inspiring thoughts etc.

from the field book

from the field book
An inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys watching nature.