Saturday 24 January 2009

Big Garden Birdwatch

Yes - this weekend it's the Big Garden Birdwatch. So grab yourself a breakfast coffee, croissant (binocs and bird ID book if you have them) and spend an hour looking the the window. You might be surprised how many species visit your garden.

Many birds will, of course, come to your feeders if you have them. But keep scanning hedge bottoms etc for ground feeders such as the dunnock. And, if you have a lattice fence, watch that too in case a wren appears looking for spiders and tiny insects living therein. Keep your eyes roving over tree trunks for treecreepers and look along branches for nuthatch and woodpeckers. If you have pines or conifers, you might be lucky enough to find tiny goldcrest there.

Open your window to listen for calls that indicate birds you might otherwise miss. Can you hear a song thrush smashing a snail shell?

Count how many of each species you see at one time and submit your results to www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch And just as importantly - enjoy it!

Images copied from the RSPB website

5 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

Lovely photographs! We hope to do our recording tomorrow.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Well I'll go down to the backgreen tomorrow and hope to see something!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Will be having my cuppa and counting later today, we do get the odd surprise turning up.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ten o'clock is my start time, Carol - I do the birdwatch every year and also did a tetrad search for BTO. That robin photo is fantastic.
We must have got our wires crossed somewhere as the doctor you mentioned is not the doctor I knew. My friend was Doctor Frank Coleman and he lived in Gillibrand Walks. I am still in regular contact with his wife who lives in The Lakes. But thanks for thinking of me.

Mistlethrush said...

Hi Ladies - hope you enjoyed your birdwatching and submitted your results.
If any one thinks 'I only saw common species' - still submit. In years to come when people look at these records, if the common species aren't recorded folks will think they were never there...

Weaver - you're right. My fuddled brain has confused the name with another. (Blush, blush!)Brilliant that you have a BTO tetrad. My tetrad for this year can be summed up in one word - MUD! It's full of large corvid flocks. But - maybe I'll see hares or similar on my next visit....

from the field book

from the field book
An inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys watching nature.