Saturday, 12 December 2009

Not so shy

I managed to coincide some free time with good weather this week so wandered down to Yarrow Valley County Park because I've been told about a not-so-shy water rail. And sure enough not long after I'd arrived she emerged from the reeds strutting her feathers, stomping her beak and not at all perturbed by a couple of onlookers.Thanks to Brian Rafferty for this stunning image. His blog is well worth visiting.

Back on the big lodge, the merest glance of a human sneaking a plastic bag from a pocket immediately triggered a cacophony of opening wings, quacks, skidding webs and attention grabbing calls from circling black-headed gulls.

6 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

She (did not know that) was not about this morning, you are right not a bit shy.

Yes the plastic bag certainly grabs their attention, Eddie the swan got so impatient with me the other day he tried to help himself - nibbling my fingers in the process, we just call it cupboard love.

Brian Rafferty said...

Carol. Sounds like a good trip to Yarrow Valley. I haven't as yet seen the water rail there but have had excellent sightings of the kingfisher which I understand is on show again.

Thanks for the mention and I wish you all the best for the forthcoming festive season.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting Carol - I once saw a male water rail sneaking through the sedge at Leighton Moss.

Roy said...

That is a beautiful shot of a Water Rail Carol, so lucky to see and get that.

Mistlethrush said...

Roy - the photo was taken by Brain. I can only dream of having a camera outfit good enough to get a shot like that.

mack said...

When The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

study from home

from the field book

from the field book
An inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys watching nature.