Monday 26 October 2009

Why is it harder going downhill?

I'm spending a few days in the gold and green Shropshire Hills. Small flocks of redwings and fieldfares are working across the trees. I have to say there doesn't seem to be an abundance of haws - little wonder the mistle thrush are being vocal. Although the holly trees seem to have done better. I regularly see buzzards flying over the caravan but have yet to spot a red kite. I'm told there was a pair around here although it's possible they've moved on. I'll keep looking.

This afternoon we enjoyed a short, energetic walk up the double summits of Earl's Hill. The colourful oak, ash, hazel and beech soon gave way to pines as we began the steep climb. And just as the path levels, I climbed over a stile to be greeted with the final gasp - another short but steep grassy climb - but well worth the effort for the views from the top. And then the difficult bit: skidding back downhill. It must be something to do with how our feet grip the ground, or maybe the way we place our feet, but whatever it is, it's always easier to climb than come back down (or is it just my mentality?)

7 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I've still not seen any redwings or fieldfares this year....

I also find it difficult skidding downhill - i think it's because it puts strain on the knees as well as rhe footing being more difficult...

Caroline Gill said...

Your second pic. in particular gives a wonderful panoramic view, Carol. I clicked on it to enlarge...

The Weaver of Grass said...

No - it is not just you, Carol, I too find it much harder to come down than to go up!
We have less berries than usual here too, and I worry what the fieldfares will find to eat come winter as they are stripping the hawthorn already.
I love Shropshire - I used to live in Wolverhampton and the Shropshire countryside was always a draw at the weekends. Enjoy your stay.

holdingmoments said...

That view is stunning Carol. Well worth the effort of the climb.

Mistlethrush said...

I'm also wondering how the thrush species are going to manage this year. Their food supplies seem alarmingly low.

The view was amazing; I just wish I had a better camera to do it justice. I used to love my old film-using SLR. The digital we currently have is a poor replacement and quite put me off taking photos nowadays...

Anonymous said...

I have no trouble going downhill. In fact I've been going downhill for some time!!

DM

Mistlethrush said...

As long as you can walk uphill with your scope, you're not going downhill!

from the field book

from the field book
An inspiring gift for anyone who enjoys watching nature.