1. Practise reading aloud before you go. (Be almost able to recite your poems.)
2. No need to overdress but wear one striking item.
3. Always look at your audience and smile before you start.
4. Involve the audience: ask some questions (that require just a nod in response).
5. Keep looking and smiling at the audience.
6. Never go over your allotted time.
7. Be flexible. Have more material ready than you need but always expect to read less.
8. Refer back to what a previous reader has said / done. (It shows you've been listening!)
9. If you make a mess of a poem - stop. Then start again (if it's near the beginning / a short poem).
10. If you have published a book etc. take some copies to sell. But be warned, if your audience consists entirely of fellow poets, you won't make many sales! (Why is that?)
Well those are my self rules. What are yours?